C25K

Disclaimer: If you know me at all, you will find the following information quite shocking. You may want to sit down to read this post.

Many of you know of my involvement in the Susan G. Komen Foundation & their local board. We had a great family friend lose her battle to Breast Cancer years ago and we have all been involved ever since. The local Komen foundation has their annual Race for the Cure event each October at Fresno State and the event gets better and better each year! I have helped with set up, tear down, site supervision, water stops along the race track, etc each year and loved it. You see familiar faces there year after year. You see kids race with win little medals. You see family and friends gather around survivors and those still battling for their lives. I've NEVER been to an event where I haven't cried.

The only thing I've never done at the Race is actually Race! They have a family "walk" and they have a men & women's 5K run (they run separate). I have decided that this will be the year. I've dusted off the running shoes (well, I had to purchase some first) and we start this week.

The program we are using is the Couch to 5K. This is appropriate since I'd rather be on the couch (preferably with a snack of some sort). The purpose of this program is that it starts you off S.....L.....O......W
I would never make it if it didn't. I have horrible knees, I have asthma, It's about to be 100 degrees here and I haven't run any further than to the fridge in at least 12 years. I'm not lying about that either. I have gained more weight in the last 6 months than I ever have & I'm guessing my "rapidly approaching age 30" metabolism is finally catching up to me. It's time to let go of the excuses, take some extra Advil, get the ice packs ready & do this!


I do not intend to actually "race" anyone during this run in October. I just plan to finish the 5K alive. Let's be honest, they may have cleaned up the event and everyone may have gone home before I finish, but I'm ok with that. I just keep reminding myself that 5K sounds like a lot, It's really only 3.2 miles. The distance my parents live from me. I can do this.
I tell you this now for a few reasons: I am joining a group of other bloggers in this endeavour, so we have a bit of accountability with each other, but I hoping by saying it here I am motivated to do it! I hoping I can make the time and get up early (for those who know me or follow me on twitter you know that's a feat in and of itself!) and train myself to do this! I'm also telling you this in the event of my untimely death caused my this new physical activity, you at least know my heart behind it.
Have a fantastic week all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

to each his own.

Tales From the Gym