Week 1 Day 1

Hubs and I just finished the first day of our Couch to 5K training program. Oh wow.

First, let me say that we downloaded the iPhone application which is really cool. Day one is a 5 minute warm up walk, with 20 min of running/walking, and a 5 minute cool down walk. The 20 min run/walk is 60 seconds running then 90 seconds walking alternated for the full 20 minutes. I figured 60 seconds was easy enough and the first couple were. I am not good at math, and I hadn't calculated in my head how many running sessions it would be to do that for 20 min, I think I had figured like 4 or 5 um, it was NINE! The iPhone app is really cool, you can load music to it so while it's counting your time for each session, you can listen to music. It also beeps at you at each session change to tell you to change from walking to running or vise versa. Since my fingers will be too sore to type this out tomorrow, I wanted to recap tonight:

*60 seconds doesn't start out seeming like much, by cycle two it is a long freakin' time.

*90 seconds is actually less than 60 seconds. I know you may not think so, but trust me on this one.

*The gentleman who does the voice on the iPhone application that tells you what you should be doing, he gets meaner each time he says "RUN".

*I have long legs and they get heavy when I run

*I don't think the creator of this program actually just got off the couch when she wrote day 1 of this training session. I think she had been running awhile. The only running I've ever done is to the bathroom or the refrigerator and neither of them are 60 seconds away. Nor do I run to them NINE times in a row.

*I sweat a lot for a girl

*My husband is the best cheerleader, encourager, jerk, motivator & trainer ever. He pushed me, he coached me & he pissed me off all the while running along side me. This program was my idea and yet he's on board. I love and appreciate him. I also appreciate the fact that he won't let me quit. Yet.


The program says to do it three times a week. I plan to walk on the in between nights so that I don't get sore and my muscles don't get tight. I will try and document our progress as we go. The program is supposed to be 6 weeks, after tonight, we might make it 12 weeks and do each step twice before moving on. I'm not going to lie, there were numerous times tonight I thought I would die before we finished. There were also many times I really questioned my thinking I could even survive to do this. I'm gonna try though.

For those of you blogger's joining me in this... You are all my heroes.




Comments

Rebecca Jackson said…
You are too funny! Good luck and I can't wait to hear more about your challenge!

Popular posts from this blog

to each his own.

My Love